Why Should You Avoid Buying Used Tyres?
Published On 01-Feb-2020
Only cost should not be the reason
When your old car tyre runs out of its tread life or gets damaged irreparably, replacing it is the only way out. Avoiding the expensive new tyre and going for the used set of tyres always looks tempting, isn’t it? But, wait before you lay your hands on a second-hand tyre, you need to know some quick facts on the hazards of buying used tyres. Here we go.
- The used tyre seller may not be telling the truth about the tyre’s history. Buying a used tyre with no confirmation on how it was used is just like shooting in the dark and putting your money at stake.
- The sheen that you see on the used tyre could be fake. Some used tyre dealers often paint the old tyre black or fix the issue temporarily which could last only a few kilometres. This adversely affects your safety on the road.
- Inspecting tyres is difficult. Unlike used cars, partially worn tyres are hard to detect as they may have internal damages as you don’t know its history. It could be driven underinflated, overloaded or subjected to burnouts or driven at excessively high speeds. Anyone of the issue or a combination of two would mean getting junk for your money.
- You do not get a warranty on used tyres which means even if there is any manufacturing defect which pops up while you are using it, you cannot claim it under warranty.
- All tyres with good looking tread are not good. The rubber could be old and deteriorating which may not be visible to the naked eye. In the tyres kept for long, the internal rubber compounds start deteriorating and could be a potential risk at high speeds.
- The number of road accidents reported globally indicate that tyre has a major role to play in these mishaps. Statics too do not favour going for old tyres.
Looking for new tyres? Find dealers near you
In the interest of your safety, we recommend you to avoid going for old or partially worn tyres. Saving a few bucks on old tyres will keep haunting you as their reliability is always a question mark in the long run. Buying new tyres with warranty gives you complete peace of mind and confidence in your drive. Safe driving.