With Autonomous Driving, Airless Tyre Manufacturers Hope For A Breakout Moment

Published On 30-Oct-2019By TyreDekho Team

The ultimate debut of self-driving taxis and driverless cars could hint that there will be a more significant requirement for puncture-resistant tyres

With Autonomous Driving, Airless Tyre Manufacturers Hope For A Breakout Moment

Airless tyre manufacturers such as Japan's Bridgestone Corp expect that autonomous driving will indicate a development for their technology. Even though it is very dated but underperforms most of the standard tyres in every manner (except for reluctance to puncture). The ultimate debut of self-driving taxis and driverless cars could hint that there will be a more significant requirement for puncture-resistant tyres because substantial usage of transportations uncovers them to more flat tyres.

Atsushi Ueshima of Bridgestone stated at the biennial Tokyo Motor Show "In the past, a car would be driven about 20% of the time and spend the other 80% in the garage. In the age of shared, autonomous vehicles, it will be the opposite, and preventing breakdowns will be a top priority." In addition to that, the first prototype was displayed by France's Michelin in 2005 on a wheelchair and the commercial launch happened in 2012. However, the usage of this technology is mostly limited to golf carts and ride-on lawnmowers.

Recommended Read: Tokyo Motor Show: Bridgestone To Showcase Mobility Innovation

Hino Motors Ltd, a Toyota Group truckmaker, displayed a perception of the future where people-to-parcel movers use airless tyres, which holds its own design. At the earlier event in 2017, the brand also revealed a hydrogen-powered concept car equipped with Sumitomo Rubber Industries prototypes. A joint research agreement has been announced by Michelin and General Motors Co that aims to have airless tyres by as early as 2024 on passenger cars.

Hiroshi Ohigashi of Sumitomo Rubber stated at the motor show "There will definitely be demand for airless tyres for commercial vehicles in the future, but making something that can support that weight is a really huge obstacle." Even if the cost of manufacturing such tyres will be higher compared to pneumatic tyres, both Bridgestone and Sumitomo Rubber hopes the solution can be a gradual shift to mass production.

You Might Also Be Interested In

Latest Tyres

  • Car
  • Bike
  • Truck

Best Tyres

  • Car
  • Bike
  • Truck
  • SecuraDrive
    SecuraDrive
    205/60 R16
    Rs6,870
    • iconCar Tyre
    • iconTubeless
    • iconFuel Efficient
    • iconWet Grip
    View May Offers
  • Fuel Smarrt
    Fuel Smarrt
    165/80 R14 85T
    Rs3,720
    • iconCar Tyre
    • iconTubeless
    • iconFuel efficient
    • iconDry Grip
    View May Offers
  • Sturdo
    Sturdo
    205/55 R16
    Rs10,814
    • iconCar Tyre
    • iconTubeless
    • iconFuel Efficient
    • iconWet Grip
    View May Offers
  • ZVTV
    ZVTV
    185/65 R15 88T
    Rs4,299
    • iconCar Tyre
    • iconTubeless
    • iconWet Grip
    • iconDry Grip
    View May Offers
  • Milaze
    Milaze
    145 R12
    Rs1,976
    • iconCar Tyre
    • iconTubeless
    • iconFuel Efficient
    • iconWet Grip
    View May Offers
  • icon5
    Energy XM2
    Energy XM2
    165/70 R14 81T
    Rs3,880
    • iconCar Tyre
    • iconTubeless
    • iconHandling
    • iconWet Grip
    View May Offers
  • ZLX
    ZLX
    165/80 R14 85T
    Rs4,683
    • iconCar Tyre
    • iconTubeless
    • iconWet Grip
    • iconDry Grip
    View May Offers
  • icon5
    Earth-1E400
    Earth-1E400
    185/65 R15 88H
    Rs6,563
    • iconCar Tyre
    • iconTubeless
    • iconFuel efficient
    • iconHandling
    View May Offers
×
Which is your city ?